Saturday 25 August 2007

the dilemma: the principle or the system

it's not that i don't understand it
i understand i am white, come from a relatively priviledge background and earn my salary in dollars as opposed to somaliland shillings
i understand that me being here it's business, for the very same reasons
i am more than willing to be 'cheated' upon, for the very same reasons
but i still find it totally unfair to be expected to paid double the real price all the time

i am not good at haggling, i don't like it, not even feel comfortable with it
in fact i rather pay what they are asking for rather than haggling
but paying double the price on a colour basis constantly, i also find against my principles
so i haggle, sometimes paying what they want, sometimes what the real price really is
in all cases i leave with a very uncomfortable feeling,
should i go against my principle and play the system or should i follow my principle against the system?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know what you mean, it doesn´t feel good to bargain but then who does it effect more? The taxis bother me the most. What an interesting life you are leading xx