Monday 27 August 2007

things that you can find

The sanity walk, that late afternoon walk that it's keeping me sane (I should not speak for others) it's full of surprises. I have been feeling too lazy and keep on making the mistake of not taking my camera with me, which I now regret. Today the list of bizarre, interesting encounters that grows each day had its newest addition: a tortoise. He (that's what we believe) was in the middle of the road, its shell worn out like old wood, feeling shy with the three strangers (us) that curiously looked on. He decided not to come out and say hello. I cannot blame him. He seemed to have the same opinion as the rest of people who we normally cross. They all look to us like we were freaks, i guess it's the combination of being white, female, wear trousers, and uncovered hair. It seems they are compelled to shout HOW ARE YOU? However, if you ask the question back, hardly none knows what to answer. Salam aleikum works a lot better (wa-aleikum-as-salam is what should be replied). The ones that are not bothered at all about our (or anyone else's as a matter of fact) presence are the camels. The goats don't seem terribly bothered either. And absolutely nobody, animals or humans, winks about the presence of what is left of a rusting anti aerial tank, its big cannon now resting peacefully on the grass.

No comments: